pic of the week

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Project Carp Jon

Click the pictures for a bigger view





Project Carp Jon has reached it's temporary end. Below is a list of modifications that have been made this summer:
-Remove live well and weld the boat where live well penetrations were
-Build the live well space into a storage box that houses PFDs, anchor, tools, rope and fire extinguisher.
-Move the battery from the rear of the boat to the front. Eventually there will be a dual battery system, but I will use the existing Optima Yellow Top until it has expired. Then replace with 2 matching AGM batteries.
-Replace the old 6 gallon fuel tank with a 12 gallon unit.
-Added a front aluminum casting platform. Secured with a cam strap to a Kennedy tie down. Kennedy tie downs are nice because you can easily remove the eye bolt so there isn't a tripping hazard on the deck of the boat when you remove the casting platform. Originally, I was going to use a Yeti Cooler as the casting platform but it was tough to see around when under way.
-Added a poling platform. The poling platform can be removed in about 10 seconds so it isn't a permanent fixture. The brackets are easily removable, but I doubt I will have a reason the take them off. They are mounted to the transom and don't interfere with space or function of the boat. Profab in Casper, WY did the poling platform fabrication from my design. Tom Bower Decorative welding powder coated the poling and casting platforms. I chose black because it I liked the look...knowing full well that my toes will probably get cooked on warm days.
-Built a Mangrove carbon fiber pole to move the boat around.

Old modifications include:
-Bow and stern trolling motors. Each is used for a different type of fishing
-Installed a depth finder.
-Pedestal seating.

All of the modifications can be removed and the boat can be reconfigured for different activities. It is a fun project now I just have to use it!
Erik Aune

5 comments:

WalMart said...

Coonass!

The Reef Fly Shop said...

You aren't kidding!

matt pike said...

Thanks for posting these pics! I'm in the middle of a jon boat-carp-remodel, and I dig the poling platform. Carp specific jons are hard to come by on the internetz, so I'm glad I found this page. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Great looking mods! Are you satisfied with functionality now that you have had a chance to use them? What are the dimensions of the casting platform? I am considering doing something similaron my G3 for redfishing here in the Gulf.

Life on the Fly said...

Dude I need this, such an inspiration.