pic of the week

Friday, October 16, 2009

Fly Only for Fremont, Let 'em go

The latest poll asked about the use of bait and catch and release practices in Fremont Canyon. This was an issue I hadn't really put much stock in until Ryan and Josh of Wyoming Fly Fishing brought it up at a Wyoming Flycasters meeting. 73% of us agreed that this little gem of a fishery should be a catch and release fishery and the use of bait prohibited.
Over the years I have become much more tolerant of bait fishing and harvesting fish. But, nothing irks me more that a fisher keeping the fish...often time too many fish...just to display their machismo. Knowing full well that these fish will be in the trash way before the dinner table. Bait fishing and catch and release have no business going together based on how trout eat bait...fish swallow bait.
So is this an issue that should be brought the Wyoming Flycasters attention? Should we pursue this regulation? Is bait fishing and harvesting a problem in Fremont? Has anybody actually seen a bait fisher being irresponsible or a fisher harvesting too many trout from Fremont Canyon? Or, do we want this as a feel good fly fishers club scenario?
My take on this one is Fremont would be better off as a catch and release fishery. It would also benefit from artificial lures only BUT only one hook/lure and it must be barb-less. This is a special place that is not only fun but will become, unfortunately, more recognized. Anglers are already traveling to fish this place as their primary destination. The more it gets used the more it will be abused. There is really nothing wrong with making a few small fisheries a true sporting arena, where it is commonplace to be whipped by the fish. A great day would include more defeats than successes. Having your ass handed to you by the fish can be fun while teaching us valuable lessons. This will be a hard pill for some to swallow, but it isn't meant to discriminate against people. Everybody would be welcome, you just have to learn to enjoy the challenge more than conquering.
Give some feedback on this, either side of the coin.
Erik Aune

5 comments:

micknster said...

I also believe this area should be C&R and artificial only. I can't think of any strictly C&R areas around the area. I witnessed this summer and wish I had photos(for the G&F) of two anglers using power-bait, catching, and keeping several brown and rainbow trout all over 20"+ This unique area should be C&R only. Preservation is a must. I enjoy the challenge of trying to catch FC trout. I enjoy it even more because it's tough and the pay off can be so large. Everyone should have that same opportunity now and generations down the road!

Warning:
This statement is just an opinion of a humble trout seeker.

TID

Montana Teal said...

As an American I have a hard time telling anyone they cannot do something. Wether it's smokng in a bar to not being able to fish a particular stretch of water. What I do believe makes more sence than anything is enforcing the laws we already have on the books. In all the years I've fished the Platte River Drainage (16 years) I have only been checked 1 time and I've only ever seen G&F 4 other times. All four times they were taking surveys. Trust me, I'm not the only one who notices these facts.
Man kind has always had "rule breakers" and we always will. But, with consistent appearences and written violations from our G&F, these "rule breakers" will think twice before taking another chance.
Bait fishermen and fly fishermen...I personally believe we are the same. I learned fishing as a bait fisherman and my sons learned the sport as bait fishermen. One has transformed to mostly a fly fisherman but my Autistic son still enjoys bait. God willing, he will be allowed to enjoy freemont.

micknster said...

I recently checked the current regulations and found that a major portion of Fremont is already artificial only. This includes the meadow portion also known as Cardwell.

25. North Platte River from vehicle bridge eight tenths (0.8) of a mile downstream from Pathfinder Dam downstream to Alcova Reservoir in Natrona County. The creel limit on trout shall be one (1) per day or in possession.All trout less than twenty (20) inches shall be released to the water immediately. Fishing is permitted by the use of artificial flies and lures only.

WalMart said...

So what's next, dry fly only? Trico only. Come on! I am an avid fly fishermen, but I bet the fly fishing purists kill just as many if not more fish than the guys who throw lures. If I was a fish and could choose between a 20 second fight with a trebel hook versus a 10 minute fight on a size 20 dry fly in late august on tiny tippett... You be the judge. I love flyfishing, but this purest bullshit is just that. Crap. There are plenty of good people out there who love to fish, and who love to take their kids fishing. Fremont is a special place, but if they want to throw Panther Martins, that is fine with me. I love you guys, but don't get too carried away with the purist crap. And you wonder why you don't get your fall flush.

The Reef Fly Shop said...

What is the connection between the fall flush and discussions on Cardwell regulations, Walmart? The fall flush is not only for "us". My personal feelings on the fall flush may not jive with some other folks feelings. But, without the spring flush we would be in a world of hurt. As far as fishing regulations are concerned, some may be too restrictive. But, the restrictive regulations ALWAYS fall in favor of fly anglers because our techniques are generally considered more fish "friendly". Regardless, hooks are damaging either way.
I have never seen an issue with bait or keeping fish at Cardwell. It doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I have fished the canyon when bait fishers were there and they weren't having a lot of success, although they said the previous day was great.
Being on the other side of the coin is interesting. I just got back from a steelhead trip to the Clearwater River. We fished in sections of the river that allowed motors and most folks were in big jet sleds throwing bait. We were far and away the minority with our silly 2 handed rods swinging flies. Lots of these folks were interested in how we were doing...camaraderie between bait chuckers and long rodders. Actually, the spin fishers seemed far more friendly and accepting than the other rare fly fisher. We had offers to be towed through the flats by guys in jet boats...we opted to bring a drift boat over one of our jet boats. This whole argument, to me, isn't about spin fishers vs. fly fishers.
Micknster- thanks for bringing the regulations to the table. What more can really be done? I offered the extreme regulation scenario to get some good discussion, but I really don't think it is warranted. The best regulation would be that we all enjoy the resource and return it better than when we arrived. Erik